Sunrise on a run

Sunrise on a run

Monday, August 15, 2005

Is it Ironic?

Irony

It's a common stereotype held among Brits that Americans don't understand irony. Alannis Morrisette's song "Ironic" doesn't really help them much. "Black Fly in your Chardonnay" - Ironic? just plain inconvenient, although it might improve the taste of those really oaky Chardonnays.

Two recent examples show it's not just a stereotype:

Example 1: Someone was admiring my accent (I get this all the time here) and saying "I love your accent, you could read the news."
My response: "I guess I've missed my vocation."
Their response: "It's not too late."

Example 2: I was out for dinner. Someone in the group asked if we minded them smoking - I said that was fine but they'd have to sit downwind. They moved!

Maybe it's the tone of voice and they didn't realise I was joking. Maybe in the first example they were being ironic and really they meant that I'd be an appallling newsreader as I'd bore everyone to sleep.

Check out the following link for further assistance: Maybe I'm the one that needs help from this link

1 comment:

kris said...

The problem is that most people in the states, at least, don't understand the correct meaning of the word, nor the meanings of many other words that are used WAY too often. ie: the word "ignorant". (I'm not trying to imply anything. Many people think ignorant means rude)

I like your blog. You're funny. Keep it up!