Sunrise on a run

Sunrise on a run

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I say Tomato...

While here in the US I have noticed that the English spoken here is rather different to the Queen's English. And to mine too.

Some of the obvious differences: diaper/ nappy; stroller/ pushchair; nap/ kip.
Some less obvious idioms (or are they idia?) that have caught me out:

Today I was telling someone that Isha enjoys her greens. They said "she'll be shooting up soon". I was shocked, was this lady really saying that a prediliction for green veg means a propensity to indulge in recreational pharmaceuticals in later life? No, after a split second I realised she meant that my daughter would be growing taller.

Maybe that's nothing to do with a difference in language. Maybe that's me being blonde.

1 comment:

kris said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA ...shooting up means "shooting up drugs" here, too. it also means "shooting up like a weed" as in "growing up" depending on the context.