Sunrise on a run

Sunrise on a run

Friday, January 11, 2013

Curry (musings on the back of a takeaway menu)

Come, don't hurry or harry, for hurray, it's Curry night!
Karma is yours, in creamy Korma
But first the pappadums, prickly pickles and pakora

Selecting the sides, too much dhal makes it dull
Bhaji: Brindal or Bhindi, Okra or Aubergine?
Rice now, or nan, not too much now for I
may slump into sleep, pilau for my pillow,
Pad ghum or party?

(pad ghum: Bengali expression describing carb-induced sleepiness after too much rice!)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Jan said...

I love this and as a fan of Indian curry appreciate the wit. I had not thought of it before but you are right there is a lot of alliterative words on an Indian menu Bengal, Bringal , baghi.
Red and yellow are predominant colours too and I wondered about getting ties images into such a piece.
But great stuff.

Jan said...

I love this especially hurry for Harry and karma and korma andthe gloss on pad ghum and I particularly liked slump into sleep which gave an immediate image of the diner.
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

I really enjoyed reading this; I love the use of alliteration. I like how easily you've turned something into a poem, showing us that we can draw inspiration from anywhere. I like the authentic use of Pad ghum.

Becky